tirsdag den 17. januar 2012

Review: Marabou orange croquante (crisp)


I consider orange(zest) and chocolate to be an excellent match and when done properly it adds a nice zing to the chocolate. On the other hand I’m not particularly fond of adding orange oil to chocolate as it is too perfumed and simply does not taste right.

The bar is described as “Orange flavoured milk chocolate with crisp” with cocoa solids of min. 30%, though is impossible to tell by the exterior of this chocolate where the orange flavour derives from. At least for me as a lay person. The declaration simply states “flavourings”. I suppose the only conclusion I can draw from this is that orange zest is not part of this bar or it would clearly have stated so.

The wrapper looks OK looking and with its yellow and orange colours - as well as the image of orange slices - clearly signals that this bar has something to do with oranges, though, as stated above, the source of orange is unclear. My only concern here is that the image of a whole orange gives me the "wrong" associations as in my head only the zest - and not the rest of the orange - has a real part in a chocolate bar. The chocolate itself has many cavities though it looks OK but could be shinier. Appearance: 7 out of 10.

Aroma is OK of dairy chocolate as well as a hint of biscuit. The orange aroma is very strong and in my opinion somewhat too strong. Aroma: 7 out of 10.

There is no real snap in the chocolate and the crunch is way too dull to provide sufficient contrast. The melt seems quite waxy and way too sticky. Texture: 6 out of 10.

This bar is quite sweet and has no characteristic chocolate flavour and I think is best described as boring. The orange is very strong and artificial tasting. The bar has a not so pleasant aftertaste. Flavour: 6, 5 out of 10.

I am not a fan of this particular bar, though I think this particular combination has excellent potential: Milk chocolate, almonds and orange zest sounds quite good.

Average: 6, 625 out of 10.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...